Friday, February 3, 2012

SNOWED IN REMINISCENCE/akai gx 27od-ss reel to reel



Do you have something that you really cherish? This would be something that's very sentimental to me...To all you audiophiles out there, you know exactly what this is. This reel to reel was given to me by my father, who bought it in the 70's. The GX 27OD-SS was one of the last 4 channel reel to reels produced by Akai. You typically see reel to reel tape decks in a 2 channel version which makes this rare. I love this thing! It looks great and is definitely a conversation starter. There's nothing like being able to hear music on one of these...that's right no mp3 digitally compressed audio, this is the real deal. Every time I look at it I think of that scene from Pulp Fiction, where Uma Thurman presses play on the reel to reel and "Girl, You'll be a woman soon" begins to play by Urge Overkill. So, the original was by Neil Diamond which I prefer, but they didn't do a bad rendition. Ok, I'm not dancing around my place like Uma and I prefer to listen to The Animals and some Jimi Hendrix while enjoying Stella Artois from a chalice, but I will raise my glass and say "Thanks, Dad...this really means a lot to me."



No comments:

Post a Comment